Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Simpsons and the Ten Commandments


About 2 years ago I was looking for a curriculum to use to teach high schoolers about the Ten Commandments. Then, the idea came to me like God came to Homer in a dream. Why not use a modern-day example of the commandments in action and discuss it. Thus, The Simpsons are the Ten Commandments were born. Keep in mind that I do not have express written consent from Fox, I'm just a simple bible study writer putting my ideas on the internet for novelty purposes and my own sense of self satisfaction. There is a book out called, The Gospel According to the Simpsons, as well as a bible study that goes with it. Trust me when I say that mine is better. Sorry Mark I. Pinsky. That's what you get for not returning my email. Without further ado, I give you...



The Simpsons

and the

Ten

Commandments



Commandment

*Title- Season.Disk.Episode

Description

Quote




Thou shall have no other gods before me

You should not make a false idol

*Bart's inner child 5.2.2

A book writer comes to town and tells everyone to be more like Bart.

Church Sign "Be like unto the Boy"



Do not use the lords name in vein

*Bart the Lover 3.3.4

Homer starts a swear jar when Flander's kids pick up his bad language.

"Marge, swearing is the way God made me, and I'm too old to change now" - Homer



Honor the Sabbath and keep it holy

*Homer the Heretic 4.1.3

Homer skips church and claims to have lost his faith. He starts a new religion, after meeting God in a dream, and being saved by Ned Flanders, his faith is restored.

"Don't you think the All Mighty has something better to worry about than where one guy spends one meesly hour of his week?" -Homer



Honor your Father and Mother

*Bart the Daredevil 2.2.2

After a monster truck ralley, Bart decides that he wants to be a daredevil and goes out to jumping Springfield gorge after promising Homer he wouldn't.

“Promise me boy, that you won’t go out and jump that gorge” –Homer

“Ok I promise” Bart

“Grrrr… You didn’t mean that!” -Homer




Thou Shall not Murder

*Whacking Day 4.4.4

Springfield has an annual ritual where they wack all the snakes in town. Lisa, Bart, and Barry White stop it.

“Barry White, will you help us save these snakes?” –Lisa

“Anything for a lady” –Barry White




Thou Shall nor commit adultry

*Colonel Homer 3.4.2

Homer meets a waitress and manages her singing career. Marge and he have some problems, but in the end Homer realizes that Marge is the only one for him despite Lurleen's advances.

"Bunk with me tonight, bunk with me tonight- I'm askin will you bunk with me tonight" -Lurleen Lumpkin

“Wow. There isn’t a man alive that wouldn’t be turned on by that. Well, goodnight” -Homer




Thou shall not steal

*Homer vs Lisa and the 8th commandment 2.3.1

After stealing cable, Lisa has a moral crisis. She learns about stealing in Sunday school and conviences the family to give it up.

"Lisa, come sit on the couch and watch TV. It won't cost you a thing- except your soul" -The devil



Thou Shall not give false testimony

*Bart gets hit by a car 2.2.4

After being hit by Mr. Burns, Bart takes the stand and tells a half truth. Mr. Burns under oath tells an even worse lie.

"Mrs Simpson do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

"I do"

Lawyer "She sounded like she was taking that awfully seriously."



Thou shall not covet your neighbors house etc.

*When Flanders Failed 3.1.3

Jealous of Ned Flanders, Homer makes a wish that Flanders would fail at his new business. When it comes to pass, Homer attempts to make it right.

"I don't care if he's the nicest guy on earth, the guy's a jerk- end of story" -Homer



Thou shall not covet your neighbors wife

*The War of the Simpsons 2.4.2

Homer gets drunk and looks down Maude Flander's dress. At a marriage retreat, Homer and Marge face their issues.

Rev. LoveJoy, “Marge, usually I don’t tell someone that the other person is completely at fault, but in this case, it is all his fault. And I'll put that on a piece of paper you can frame.”

3 comments:

ProudMommy77 said...

Thank you so much for this! I have a very interesting group for my religion class this year and this is exactly what will get the point across for the Ten Commandments! I am so looking forward to using this in my class. Thank you for going to the extent of creating this, and furthermore, making available for the general public!

DanielPughjr said...

Absolutely!

Glad I can help! I'm trying to figure out how to market this and I'd love your imput.

Let me know how it goes by dropping me a line at

LCMDAN@aol.com

Jesper said...

Great stuff. I used Simpsons myself as a lead-in to a topic on American culture (I teach English in a Danish high school). I used "Homer the Heretic" before discussing religion in the US, "Mr Lisa goes to Washington" before discussing American politics, "Lisa vs Malibu Stacy" before discussing American gender roles and many more.